Brandon Intermediate - Dare to be True

Brandon Intermediate

Our Policy

At Brandon Intermediate we have many strategies to manage the behaviour of our students.

1. The school has been involved in the Positive Behaviour 4 Learning initiative and has developed these principles into our

Brandon PRIDE 4 Learning

• positive behaviour can be learnt and difficult and disruptive behaviour can be unlearnt
  • individual children are not a ‘problem’ - we need to change the environment around them to support positive behaviour
  • punishing and isolating children doesn’t bring about long-term and sustainable changes in behaviour
  • we need to concentrate on a small number of evidence-based programmes and frameworks that we know work
  • as much as possible return the focus to the learning the student needs
  • there are no quick fixes. Behaviour change takes time.

To learn more click here:

2. The guidelines for the Staff at Brandon Intermediate can be found here

Brandon Intermediate also uses other programmes to foster positive relationship between students.

3. Peer Mediation  -  is a programme that gives the students the skills and framework to help solve problems of conflict themselves. Staff have had support to use Peer Mediation from the Peace Foundation.
Each year all students are introduced to Peer Mediation and four students from each class are trained and then available to help with conflicts that may arise.

To learn more about Peer Mediation click here

4.  Brandon Intermediate also uses and believes in "Restorative Practices" . The main principles of restorative practices are that punitive practices have limited effect.

Punitive verses Restorative Responses 

Punitive Responses

focus on punishment

Restorative Responses

focus on accountability, healing & needs   

1. What rule has been broken?
  2. Who is to blame?
  3. What is the punishment going to be?      
  1. Who has been affected?
  2. How have they been affected?
  3. Who is obligated to put things right 

Restorative Practice can be at where a staff member will have 'restorative chat' with a student and quickly return to the learning or  when whanau from all affected can be asked to attend.

A full conference with whanau can be in the evening, involve many supporters from the victim and wrongdoer. A full conference can be very emotional but also very effective in helping promote long term change.

To learn more about Restorative Justice click here.

5.  What will happen when it all goes wrong?
Brandon Intermediate has very high expectations for the behaviour of the students and ensuring the school is a safe learning environment for all.
  • Where necessary whanau will be required to come to school to discuss a student's behaviour.

• If felt appropriate a student will be 'stood down'.  A student can be stood down for up to five days in a term and up to ten days in  year.

• If the severity of an incident is felt extreme a student may be suspended and required to present themselves with whanau support before the Board of Trustees disciplinary committee. This committee will determine if the student can remain as a student of the school or be excluded.

• If excluded the student will be required to find another school for their education.
To learn more click here 

To follow the Bill Rogers Video click here